Sunday, December 26, 2004

Irresponsible people

I took journalism in high school several decades ago. If I remember one thing about my teacher (who's name I've forgotten), is that he pounded into us to check and make sure our sources are accurate. Ask Dan Rather, he'll agree to that.
.
In today's Anchorage Daily News in the Outdoors Section there's an article by Craig Medred titled "
'Rescuers' torture birds, delude themselves'. If you don't believe me, there's the link for the complete article. It's too big for me to put the whole thing on this blog, but I did address a few parts. I could spend the whole day picking this thing apart.
.
It starts off " Somewhere in America today, a child is going hungry while well-meaning people go to great lengths trying to save oiled Alaska birds destined to die shortly anyway." Why? Because rescuing these birds makes some people feel better about themselves. Because rescuing these birds makes them think they're doing something to benefit the environment."
.
He starts off somewhat correct. I'm sure there are children in America hungry today. I believe everyone does their part to help correct that. I put my change in the red buckets this holiday season going in and out of the stores. I know that will help some.
.
"These people are well meaning and do go to great lengths." These people are dedicated professionals. They're not a couple of back wood hicks with a bucket and a scrub brush. They are not just trying to save birds, they do. If you want proof Craig, I'll show you two that are still around that were caught up in a small, not well known disaster with a ship called Exxon Valdez. And there are plenty others still around from that mistake we didn't learn from.
.
I feel better about myself for being a volunteer at Bird TLC. I know the people at the International Bird Rescue Research Center should feel better about themselves as well. We are making a difference with the environment that mankind is doing a fine job of screwing up.
.
Sure, some birds are not surviving. They are dying from the toxic waste, or being put to sleep to end their suffering because too much damage had been done before IBRRC was able to get to them.
.
Birds are being released back to the wild. No, not where they were picked up from so they can roll around in some more toxic garbage that still hasn't been cleaned up. They are being released where hopefully they can survive.
.
Yes IBRRC did rush to the site from their offices in California. Wait Craig, did you forget they have an office in Anchorage? An Alaskan woman is in charge of that office and rescue center. Do you know her name or where the center (or torture center) is? These people deserve a pat on the back and not the BS in your article. They are spending their holidays helping out our state, our environment.
.

People in your position have a responsibility to tell the truth. Even though your article is an editorial showing your opinion, your information is incorrect. That incorrect information can mislead others. If you need someone to beat on, go after the owners of the Selendang Ayu for all of their mistakes. Go after the people in charge of the spill clean up for their slow and ineffective effort so far. Go after the feds for not having salvage equipment any closer than Amsterdam. Go after the people that aren't making a difference, not the ones that are.
.
As a last note, I feel much better after writing this. I put your article at the bottom of my birds cage.

.
The following was taken from the bottom of the article;
Daily News Outdoor editor Craig Medred can be reached at cmedred@adn.com.

No comments: