Monday, March 28, 2005

Helpers needs help


Have you ever needed help from the American Red Cross. I hope not, but if you have in the past I bet you were glad they were there.

Alaskans are really neat people. If you think there's a melting pot of different people in the lower 48, check out Alaska. My family alone, lets see ... I was born in Maryland, my wife Ruth was born in Washington state, my son Nick was born in Florida, my son Ryan was born in Oklahoma, and my daughter Cassie was born here in Anchorage. And in that sense we're not unusual. All of us still live in Alaska. Why? Because it is unlike any place we have ever been. Besides the beauty and wonders of the state, it's also the uniqueness of it's people.

Alaska covers 570,373 miles of land and 45,000 square miles of water. According to the last US Census, Alaska's population is 626,932 people. Our population more than doubles during the summer with tourist from all over the world.

Last year the American Red Cross responded to more than 67,000 disasters in the US. From house fires to tornados. They also feed the people who responded to those emergencies. When I was in the military, I told my family that if there was an emergency that required me to come home, contact the American Red Cross. They could get me home faster than Uncle Sam, and they did. During 20 years of service they got me home in time for funnerals and medical emergencies. One time they gave me a $500 grant to assist in a medical emergency while I was stationed in Oklahoma. That sure helped a young married couple in a desperate time of need.

Now they need our help. Because of the international relief efforts needed around the world, people are donating to them and not their local Red Cross. Not to say what they are donating is wrong or should they stop, but lets remember home also. Make a donation to your local Red Cross. Who knows, you or one of your friends, neighbors or family members might need their help tomorrow. Click on the picture above to go to the American Red Cross of Alaska's website.

Then while you still have your checkbook out, send one to the Bird Treatment and Learning Center. Help support the injured, sick & orphaned wild birds of Alaska.

No comments: