Friday, March 07, 2008

Some people go to McDonalds for lunch

I go to take pictures of an eagle being operated on. WARNING, If you have a weak stomach, don't look at the following pictures.

Everyone was exhausted from the auction the night before and Cindy was fighting a cold from someplace way south of here. So I volunteered to go to the airport and pick this gal up last night. She was caught by our friend Jean Keene, the Eagle Lady in Homer. Jean said it was flighted but had some swelling on its head and blind in one eye. She handed it over to U.S.F.&W. and they sent it on up to us. Just a reminder, ERA Aviation ships these birds to us at no cost.

I was able to pick her up at the airport at 6:30 pm. Cindy had gone home to get some rest but was on phone stand-by just in case. I was taking her back to TLC and doing a quick exam and bedding her down for the night. When I checked her out while still in the kennel, she was really dirty, there was large swelling around her left eye and there was a clear discharge coming from her left nostril. This injury had probably happened in a fight within the past month or so. I called Cindy at home and briefed her. I told her she didn't need to come in and that she (the eagle) will be fine for the night. I put her in a clean mew with fresh water, 392 grams of fresh salmon and said goodnight.

This morning I called Cindy to see how our girl was doing. She told me that we were taking her to Pet Stop to operate. Pet Stop has more up to date equipment and they allow us to use it as long as there is an opening. She said she was going about 11:30 and I said I would meet her there.

I got there just as Cindy and Dr. Todd Palmatier were putting our girl on the operating table. Dr. Todd explained that it was a abscess caused by infection and it needed to be drained. To cut the story short, he drained about 1/2 cup of goo from her. When done she looked noticeably better. There was still some swelling, but you could see more of her left eye. She had to feel instant relief when she woke up.

Cindy loaded her into a kennel and took her back to TLC. I told her I'd stop by later to get a after pix. Sorry about the green in the last pix. The warehouse lighting we have is hard on pictures. But take a look at the before and after and in just a short time you can see quite a difference.

It's too soon to say how much longer she'll be with us. The wound is being left open so it can still drain. She'll going to be on antibiotics for a little while. She also needs to gain weight and get cleaned up some.

So, some well deserved R&R for this girl and lots of salmon.

Click on the photo below for more pix's of the operation. Beware, they are explicit.



Meggie said...

Great photos and incredible work by the Doc and techs! So glad the little lady is feeling better. Please let us know of her progress.

World Bird Sanctuary said...

You are wonderful. I hope she pulls through.

Life Aboard said...

Hi, We spotted a snowy owl out behind where our boat is moored in Lake Ontario at Port Credit. Thought I'd link you to the photo. Here's my blog post with a photo
and my husband's blog post with a great close up shot Do you know, is this unusual to see this far south?

Dave said...

Thanks Meggie and WBS. She's doing well. I'll keep you up to date.

Hi la and thanks for posting. I went to the blogs you listed and posted on that gorgeous female snowy you all saw.

Sara said...

WOW ! Such a great team effort from rescue to recovery, nice work ! Dave, special thanks for the photos.

Susan Gets Native said...

That's a lot of goo.
I am sure she feels better.

Dave said...

Sara - Thanks and you're welcome!

Susan - She sure looks better.

Birdfreak said...

Very tedious and amazing work. Poor girl, I hope things improve for her now.

Susan Gets Native said...

And by the way, Dave? Could you PLEASE come and get all of your SNOW?

: )

Dave said...

BF - She continues to do better.

Susan - Can you send it FEDEX?