Wednesday, January 04, 2006

51 eagles in one year

Our record for eagles in a years time at Bird TLC is 52. In 2005 we admitted BE 05-51 on 12/30. He was found on the ground in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. He is an adult, a little skinny and a little dehydrated. His mutes were dark green with signs of blood. X-rays showed nothing abnormal.

He was given an IV to get his fluids back up. He was tube feed for 2 days and is now eating on his own. A little salmon, make sure there's no bones or skin and some herring.

We don't know exactly what happened. We guess that he ate something that really didn't agree with him for a while. He seems to be getting his strength back. We'll continue his present diet for a while longer and monitor his progress.

4 comments:

John B. said...

Have you noticed any trends in eagles being admitted to Bird TLC?

Dave Dorsey said...

Not really John. We had a little of everything. USF&W sent us more than before. But there were all kinds of illnesses and injuries, but not one thing consistent.

robin andrea said...

I just wanted to say that I love the work that you do, that you are there and rescued this poor fellow.

We had a California quail sitting on our platform bird feeder the other day. He was sitting there for more than a half hour when I thought I should go out to see if he needed any assistance. I didn't know what I would do, if he did need assistance, but I didn't want him to just sit there vulnerable to the hawks that hunt our yard. Of course as I approached him he took off quite vigorously. I did think of you, and wondered what I would have done with an injured quail. It would be interesting to know how to approach a bird in need. Any insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Dorsey said...

Thank you for thinking of me but most of all, thank you for thinking of that quail. I've had those feathered pranksters play their games on me also. I was chasing a raven at the busiest intersection in town with a purple blanket a year or so ago. I'm surprised the guys in the white jackets didn't come to take me away. When I got within reach of the so called injured raven, it also flew off. Egg all over my face in front of a huge crowd.

You bring up a very good question. What should I do if I find an injured bird? I belive I'm going to do a few post on just that subject. Stand by for more.

A Greenhouse Fan