Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Ravens

Ravens


The snow builds up quietly as each flake falls,
the day slips away, then the raven calls.


I watch them go, in two's and three's
as they fly to roost in far off trees.

Ravens scorn the winter, they play and sing;
the snow melts quietly and then it's spring.

With spring comes courtships and flying skills;
rise up the thermals, then a stoop that chills!

These bold black dancers of wind and sky
I watch and wish that I could fly.


James R. Scott


Borrowed from "That I could Fly", A collection of Bird Song, written by James R. Scott D.V.M. Founder of The Bird Treatment and Learning Center, Anchorage, Alaska.

3 comments:

The Ridger, FCD said...

Welcome to I and the Bird #44 - Science and Serendipity, Words and Pictures

http://thegreenbelt.blogspot.com/2007/03/i-and-bird-44.html

Mike said...

Dave, until the end, I thought you wrote that verse. Maybe you could put together a limerick!

Cindy said...

I absolutely LOVE this poem.. is his book available in print? I have such a fondness for ravens, thanks for sharing this one my friend.. I've been away from your blog TOO long :)